Nowadays we can find a lot of types of tourism, one of those is the MICE tourism (Meeting, Incentives, Conferencing, Exhibition). Spain is the second country in the ranking regarding the trendiest countries to practice this kind of trips.
Malaga, trough the tourism delegation of the city council, has the Malaga Convention Bureau (MCB), the principal aim is to promote the city as a destination of congress, conventions and incentive trips. The MCB offers support and a free consultancy for companies who are planning to choose Malaga as a MICE destination.
Events and congresses tourism has a great importance as it has a great impact in the local economy. A tourist attending a congress has an average daily spent of 706 Euros, much higher than the average 70,76 Euros daily spent of a one day visitor. MICE tourism also can help to reduce the seasonality of the tourism of the city. A reduction of the seasonality can increase the time that hotels are open and due that improve the employment quality of the sector.
A high demand of MICE tourism helps to attract investment in high quality hotel and restaurant equipment. This type of investment can drive the future of the tourism of the region as will attract more high spent tourist and helping to differentiate Malaga destination against other international destinations.
Malaga has made a strong bet for this tourism area, during 2018 had a substantial growth of the MICE tourism with more than 100.000 participants on the 272 events held. The city is between the five more chosen in Spain, has the 152 position in MICE destination in the world and the 82 in the European ranking.
Why Malaga as a MICE destination? Some key factors
- We have more than 140 hotels with all facilities for this kind of trips such as meeting rooms, big spaces to prepare conferences etc.
- Trade Fairs and Congress Center of Malaga (FYCMA) with a total surface area of 60.000m2 offers a wide variety and number of spaces that enable the center to host up 20.000 guest per event.
- Airport easy connection: Malaga Costa del Sol airport connects with more than a hundred destinations around the world.
- Malaguenian culture: the food, our beaches and a city full of cultural facilities make it an attractive destination for this tourism.
- Availability of high-quality sports facilities in the capital. For example, we can offer great golf courses and sailing facilities in the city. This is a great asset for companies that has to organize social events to the congress’s attendees.
- Museums in the city: Malaga has achieved a mayor improvement in the quality of the museums and cultural offer of the city. Cultural life impacts the attractiveness of the city specially for congresses and events visitors.
Even if the MICE tourism is focus on congress and similar events, also visitants has some free time to visit new places, as well as to do business in the city. If companies decide to come to Malaga to do incentive trips or assist to international events, is a good opportunity to show to investors how Malaga is a perfect place to invest in different areas. In this way, the MCB has prepared promotional material with all kind of events in the city, a guide with information about our infrastructure and services and a brochure with important tourist information.